Steven Stern - Professional Resume
Steven D. Stern
Information Technology That Creates Value
STRATEGIC - BUSINESS DRIVEN - HANDS-ON
voice: +1- 773-234-8196
I build websites using straight HTML, Drupal or WordPress. I build functional websites that YOU can manage yourself going forward. You also get the benefit of my background as an IT executive. I can advise you on software selection, hardware, SEO, email integration, and more. I'll do this part-time or as a consultant – whatever works for YOU.
STERN DATA SOLUTIONS, 2002-present
GREAT HARVEST FRANCHISING, INC., 2010-present
Chief Information Officer
Great Harvest is the franchising and support organization for the 200+ Great Harvest Bread Company bakeries throughout the U.S. The CIO is charged with implementing and maintaining the IT Road Map, a strategic plan for Great Harvest's information technology. Currently redeveloping the primary intranet site, developing a social networking strategy, creating a knowledge management system and setting the groundwork for a customer relationship management (CRM) system.
Contractor and Consultant
Lumity is a Chicago-based non-profit that provides IT and financial management services to non-profit organizations. Currently performing IT strategy assessments and CRM development.
THE ALLIANCE OF MERGER & ACQUISITIONS ADVISORS, 2011-present
Chief Information Officer Services
Currently advising the CEO on architecture for a new online presence and association management tools and managing the implementation processes.
CCIM Institute, 2004-2009
Chief Technology Officer
The CCIM Institute is an association of commercial real estate professionals. It grants the CCIM designation (Certified Commercial Investment Member) to members who have completed education and experiential requirements. Member benefits include access to a sophisticated set of technology tools. The CTO manages the day-to-day operations of the CCIM Institute’s infrastructure, software development, and technology and telecommunications infrastructure. I was responsible for developing and implementing a technology strategy to add services, improve support for members and support the Institute’s continued growth. In addition, as a senior manager of the Institute, I was part of the Board of Directors' Strategic Planning Committee.
- Created proactive customer service via Facebook and Twitter
- Led the gut and rebuild of the Institute's office space at 430 N. Michigan Avenue
- Developed a preference-based member to member email system (CCIM MailBridge)
- Introduced a standard LAMP stack for web services
- Redeveloped the Institute's website using Drupal
- Implemented an ecommerce platform for course registration and dues billing
- Improved Infrastructure and delivered a $30K annual reduction in hosting costs
- Reduced operations, maintenance and conference call services costs by replacing the telecommunications system.
- Began the transition from TIMSS to Personify, a new association management system (AMS)
THE UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO, Booth School of Business, 1995-2002
Executive Director of Computing Services (CIO)
Computing Services develops and operates the GSB’s administrative systems and provides computing support, help desk and network services to students, faculty, and administrative staff. Responsible for strategic planning, communications with students, staff, and faculty. Also, management of application development, external data exchange, instructional technology and audiovisual systems, computer operations, and email. Staff of 32. Operations budget $2.7M. Capital budget over $750K.
- Conceived, developed, and deployed wireless networking for the 4 GSB campus buildings.
- Planned and implemented new mail and calendaring system for 28,000 users based on SunOne (Planet) software and Sun hardware with only a $125K budget.
- Developed the $5 million technology plan for the GSB’s new 425,000 sq. ft building, including networking, smart classrooms, conference rooms, and media center.
- Delivered customer focused, web-based systems for students, faculty, visitors and alumni, including a student/alumni directory, course registration, recruiting/career management systems, and program applications.
- Created an integrated UNIX and Windows NT server environment serving 2+ TB of storage and 50+ printers.
- Introduced and maintained standards for hardware and software to deliver reliable support and predictable end-user computing budgets.
- Deployed a portal-based intranet.
JMB REALTY CORPORATION, Chicago, IL 1979-1995
Vice President, Information Services, 1988-1995
Manager of Computer Services, 1981-1988
Technical Writer, 1979-1981
Ph.D., M.S. Experimental Psychology Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois
B.A., Mathematics and Psychology Grinnell College, Grinnell, Iowa
Negotiation and Strategy, Management Accounting Executive Education at The University of Chicago Graduate School of Business
Introduction to Commercial Investment Real Estate Analysis, CI 101 - Financial Analysis for Commercial Investment Real Estate, CI 102- Market Analysis for Commercial Investment Real Estate CCIM Institute
WordPress, Drupal, Thesis, CSS PHP, MySQL, Redhat Linux, CentOS Linux, Fedora Linux, Windows XP, Server 2003-2008, Exchange 2003/2007, Microsoft Office, OpenOffice, VirtualBox, Google Apps, Google Voice, OS/X, iOS